TR is looking for a new Treasurer. We have a paid bookkeeper (also the previous treasurer) to handle the day-to-day finances, so the position primarily requires analysis and planning (budget, fundraising).
Location can be anywhere, because we use Skype/WhatsApp to participate in board meetings, which are once a month, usually the 2nd Tuesday, at 6 pm Eastern time.
This is a volunteer position, 1-2 hours a week, maybe more at budget time.
The Treasurer is elected at a meeting of the TEACH Rwanda Board to hold office for a two-year term, or until a successor is elected and qualified, and is eligible for re-election for one additional consecutive two-year term.
1. Financial knowledge of the organization and personal commitment to its goals & objectives.
2. Personal commitment to devote the time necessary to perform the responsibilities of Treasurer.
3. Understanding of financial accounting for nonprofit organizations.
1. Serves as Chair of the Finance Committee.
2. Manages, with the Finance Committee, the Board’s review of, and action related to, the Board’s financial responsibilities including tax filings.
3. Works with the Executive Director, bookkeeper, and Rwandan Finance Officer to ensure that appropriate financial reports are made available to the Board on a timely basis.
4. Assists the Executive Director, bookkeeper, and Rwandan Finance Officer in preparing the annual budget, and presenting the budget to the Board for approval at least 2 months before the fiscal year begins.
5. Works with the Finance Committee and the Executive Director to develop Fiscal Policies for recommendation to the Board to ensure the financial integrity and sustainability of the organization.
6. Works with the Finance Committee, Rwandan Finance Officer, and the Executive Director to develop long-term financial strategies.
7. Keeps currently informed of legal, regulatory, and sector developments relating to the Board’s financial responsibilities.
8. Reviews any audits and answers board members’ questions.